In 2019, statistics from the World Health Organization showed that ischemic heart disease, stroke, hypertensive heart diseases, and diabetes are among the top 10 leading causes of death in high-income countries, including the United States. The data are scary, but positive lifestyle changes, such as regular physical activity and healthy diets, are proven methods to greatly reduce the risk of developing preventable diseases.1
Learn more here about how you can start taking steps to eat healthier meals and make achievable fitness goals!
- Sweet potato
- Brown rice
- Wheat bread
- Wheat pasta
Fruits & Veggies
Helpful Tips and Tricks to Reach your Fitness Goals!
Have a colorful plate!
- While tracking calories or macros may help in losing weight, ensuring you receive proper nutrition is crucial to an overall healthy lifestyle.
- Incorporating a variety of fruits and veggies into your diet, or even setting goals to eat at least 1.5 cups of veggies per day can lead you to live a healthier life.
Drink lots of water
- Setting reminders on your phone to meet a daily water goal, or tracking your water intake habits, staying hydrated is important especially when exercising regularly.
- You can also download some apps, like Waterlogged, to track your water intake throughout the day
Track your progress and set fitness goals
- Use an app like MyFitnessPal to track and set dietary goals.
- Start keeping a fitness journal to track workout routines and goals
Tips on Reaching Your Fitness Goal
- How FDA Helps You Make Healthy Food Choices | FDA
Additional information on choosing healthy foods
- Physical Activity Basics | Physical Activity | DNPAO | CDC
Additional information on how to stay active and fitness needs for specific populations