Healthwise Pharmacy offers a variety of pharmacy and infusion services to Greenville and the surrounding communities. Healthwise offers a variety of innovative services, including compounding, bioidentical hormone replacement therapy, infusion services with an on-site nurse and infusion center, specialty pharmacy, and fitting for medical supplies, among other things. Healthwise also provides immunizations for the Pitt County School System. As this will be a new site in 2023-24, the resident will have the opportunity to enhance many of the disease-state education services Healthwise is already offering, as well as implementing new services needed by the community. Residents will complete an Ambulatory Care rotation in the Greenville area.
About the Program
The purpose is to build upon the Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) education and outcomes to develop community-based pharmacist practitioners with diverse patient care, leadership, and education skills who are eligible to pursue advanced training opportunities including postgraduate year two (PGY2) residencies and professional certifications.
Residency objectives may be tailored to match the interests, background, and skills and support the career objectives of the resident. They generally center around five areas of activity:
- Direct Patient Care Services
- Medication management
- Disease state education and management
- Health and wellness
- Specialty Pharmacy services
- Compounding, including bioidentical hormones
- Infusion services
- Drug Information
- Teaching and Training
- Business Development and Project Management
- Community and Professional Involvement
- Paige Lloyd
- Marcie Parker
- Scott Perkins
- Katie Trotta
The resident must complete the following learning experiences:
- Patient care (practice-site focused)
- Medication management
- Ambulatory care
- Drug information
- Residency research project
Through these learning experiences, the resident must also complete the following projects:
- Develop a new or enhance an existing clinical service at their primary practice site
- Creation of a business plan
- Develop and implement a quality improvement project
- Write a collaborative practice agreement
- Presentation of their research project as a poster at the American Pharmacists Association (APhA) annual meeting and a podium presentation at the Southeastern Residency Conference (SERC) in Athens, GA.
The resident may choose to complete additional experiences or projects as he/she desires to meet personal goals throughout the residency year.
Healthwise Pharmacy has several locations in North Carolina, South Carolina, and Virginia. The resident will be based out of the Greenville, NC site, which opened in November of 1998 striving to provide Greenville and the surrounding area with a “one stop” healthcare facility. The pharmacy team is dedicated to providing high quality service while supporting the greater Greenville community. Healthwise delivers medications (including specialty medications) East of Raleigh out to the Outer Banks, into Virginia, and into South Carolina. Since its inception, Healthwise has been known as the experts in Compounding for the greater Pitt County area. In an effort to better serve the community Healthwise Pharmacy became ACHC Accredited and a Vital Care Franchise in 2005.
Applicants must have graduated from an ACPE-accredited school of pharmacy and be eligible for licensure in North Carolina. U.S. citizenship is required.
- Complete an application in PhORCAS by the first Friday of the year.
- Submit a formal letter of intent detailing the career goals and vision and philosophy of community pharmacy practice of the candidate via PhORCAS.
- Submit a current curriculum vitae, an official University transcript, and three (3) letters of professional recommendation via PhORCAS.